How earning works on Fountain
On Fountain you earn small units of bitcoin called "sats". You can think of sats as the "bitcoin cents". There are 100 million sats in one bitcoin. In this article you'll learn why and how you can earn sats on Fountain as a listener. If you are a podcaster, please click here.
- Why are you getting paid on Fountain?
- How do you earn on Fountain?
- How much can you earn on Fountain?
- Why am I not earning?
Why are you getting paid on Fountain?
Every minute that you spend consuming content, creating content, or watching ads, increases the value of the platform you’re using. Think about the ones you use every day. Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok - all of these platforms would lose their value without the time and attention that you give them, but none of them reward you for it. Fountain is different. Fountain is the only podcast app where both listeners and podcasters get rewarded for the value they bring to the platform.
How do you earn on Fountain?
There are several ways you can earn as a listener on Fountain:
- Listen to podcasts: Get paid by Fountain for your first hour of daily podcast listening on select days. The earning rate changes every day and is assigned at random. The earnings meter at the top of the player will tell you how much you have earned.
- Listen to promotions: Get paid by podcasters and advertisers for listening to their promoted content. The earning rate is set by the promoter. You will see one promoted episode and one promoted clip on the Home page every day.
- Clips and comments: Get paid by other listeners when they like your clips or comments. The default amount for likes can be configured in the settings and you can press the like button as many times as you want.
- Refer friends: You can also earn by referring friends to Fountain. You can learn more about referrals here.
When you earn sats they will be added to your wallet balance. You can access your wallet from the menu on the bottom of the screen. In your wallet you can also see how many sats you have earned in a given period and find a history of your recent transactions.
How much can you earn on Fountain?
Your earning rate is assigned to you at random every day. It's a bit like a lottery. You may earn one sat per minute or tens or hundreds of sats per minute. On some days your earning rate can also be zero.
To find the earning rate for the day, click on the lightning symbol at the top of the player while playing a podcast. Please note that if you skip forward or back while you listen, or if your device loses connection, your earnings might be affected and you may not earn the full amount.
Why am I not earning?
If you are not earning, the lightning bolt at the top of the player will be grey . Press it for more information and you may see one of the following messages:
- You've reached the daily limit: Fountain only pays you for your first hour of daily podcast listening. You can still earn more by listening to promotions, or you can come back tomorrow to continue earning.
- Your earnings are paused: If our security system notices something irregular about your account, your earnings will be temporarily paused. If you're playing fair this shouldn't happen. If your earnings have been paused, it might be because:
- You are using multiple devices: Since you can only listen to Fountain on one device per day, this will flag your account in our security system. There's nothing you need to do - you will continue earning tomorrow on the new device.
- You are not using the latest version of Fountain: Once you have upgraded, you should be earning again tomorrow.
- You're not connected to the internet: You won't be able to earn if your device doesn't have mobile data or an active WiFi connection. In this instance, the earnings counter will simply not tick up.
Want to receive emails when new updates get released? Subscribe to our free Substack newsletter